Reaching an international standard
Managing the impacts of our operations in Brazil
At Café Bom Dia, we're committed to managing our environmental impacts and exploring innovative new ways to improve our environmental performance.
In recent years, we've introduced a range of programs and improvements that have had a major impact on our environmental performance. These include:
- replacing our diesel-fueled roasters with energy-efficient biomass models
- converting our fleet of company cars to 100% biofuels
- reducing energy use at our roasting facility by 71% through equipment upgrades
- introducing recycling programs to reduce waste to landfill by 87%
- introducing equipment retrofits at our roasting facility to reduce water usage by 63%.
Improvements such as these have helped us to become a CarbonNeutral® Company, providing assurance that carbon emissions at our Brazil facility have been independently measured and have been reduced by 100%.
In 2006, we also achieved the internationally recognized ISO 14001 Certified standard for environmental management systems for our roasting facility in Varginha.